My fingers were very happy to finish this off, 4 1/2 hrs of hand stitching and they were complaining a bit.
I found the centre of my 6 metres of rope and marked that and then went out each side about 900mm and marked that. It’s hard to take photos when you are working in a window, LOL. I added elements like a string of LED lights then some buds and flowers. I found it best to untwist a place in the rope and feed it through.
I have an assortment of strips cut and added them for a way before I added lengths of lace and organza strips. This photo represents about 2 hours work, I will admit it takes quite a lot of time tying each strip.
My front window is 2100 wide x 1800mm tall. I’ve made several swags for christmas but this times I’m going for something feminine. These are a few of the bit and pieces I have collected together to make a start. I know from the past it can be a long process, but once I get the base elements on the fabrics and ribbon will go on quite easily. Something to do when watching a movie.
I used water soluble vilene but any water soluble stabiliser will do. After deciding roughly what size i wanted to make the tree tops I roughly drew shapes onto the vilene that I had folded in half. Then the fun with chopping came into play. Basically anything your machine can sew you can use. It can be as dense or sparse as you choose also depending on what you want to achieve.
The other week when I made the sun and clouds, I used sheer fabrics that I had gone op shopping for. Believe me a sheer skirt, dress or blouse can look totally different when you start thinking what you can do with it cut into little pieces. LOL
Then sprinkle all your chopped up bits over the shapes you have drawn, when you satisfied fold the other half of the stabiliser over and secure with pins. Glue may start the dissolving process, don’t ask how I know.
Now proceed to the quilting…I used free motioning quilting in swirls but you can do whatever takes your fancy. Straightish lines if you want. Remember to keep stitching fairly close together as you want to trap all the small pieces, you will always loose a few in the washing process but don’t worry about that. for this piece I had some 30 weight varigated thread hanging around from another project and used a jeans needle.This is a view of the back side, I used an apple green 50 wt thread in the bobbin. Don’t stress use what you have. When you are happy or just can’t wait anylonger, put some warm water in the sink and drop it in and within minutes the stabiliser is gone and you can see your finished result.